Saturday, April 20, 2013

No. 5: San Diego Half Marathon, March 10

This well-organized event features a mostly flat and beautiful course showcasing downtown San Diego. It includes highlights from the America’s Finest City Half Marathon course without the stifling summer heat. I am grateful that my friends, Donna and Lisa, were with me for this race. They piled in my car at 5:30 a.m. and we headed downtown.
 
Lisa wanted to cheer me on from the start line to the finish line. I explained that it would take us two hours to finish the race and that we would have to leave very early. I was surprised when she told me she still wanted to come. She took photos and even captured a video of myself crossing the finish line. Knowing that she was at the finish line was very encouraging throughout my race.
Lisa and I
Donna and I were both trying for a two-hour half marathon, so I looked forward to experiencing the race course with someone. She encouraged me up the challenging hill at mile 9 while she powered through effortlessly. Cramps in my right calf forced me to slow my pace and stop occasionally for the remainder of the race. I urged her to run ahead and meet me at the finish line, but she stuck by my side. I know she sacrificed minutes of her race time by staying with me. Her actions mean a lot to me because I understand how neurotic runners are about race times-I know I am!
2013 San Diego Half Marathon Finishers
I choose my friends for solely selfish reasons: I wish to emulate one or more of their admirable qualities. They are strong, encouraging, and beautiful people. They work hard, but also know how to have fun. My grandmother used to say, “Show me your friends and I’ll show you who YOU are”. If that is true, then I think Grandma would be proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment