Sunday, March 10, 2013

No. 1: Carlsbad Marathon, January 27

The Carlsbad Half Marathon is one of my favorite events, but I registered for the marathon instead because of the Marathon Finisher's Jacket. The thought of zipping the Jacket and showing it off kept me motivated to train. I tried persuading others to train with me, but the Jacket was not a strong enough selling point for them.
Jacket, tech tee and bib
The drizzly start gave way to perfect marathon conditions on this flat and scenic course. I started out with a few friends, but became disappointed when I learned of their intentions of a four hour race. I joined a slower pace group and enjoyed witnessing the excitement of first-time marathoners. I anxiously looked forward to my husband, daughter, and a girlfriend stationed at mile 18 with whiskey, tequila, beer, and a chocolate protein shake. Until that day, I never thought tequila with a protein shake chaser could taste so good.

My high spirits turned dark along four slow miles. I was on the verge of tears when I saw my cousin waving at mile 22. Another friend awaited at mile 25 with rum, but my only desire was to finish the race. I cannot remember what my cousin said to me or what we saw those last miles, but I am grateful she accompanied me to mile 26 for a strong finish.

Mile 25 with Rachelle

Post-race, I proudly donned the Jacket and arrived at my good friend's baby shower. I wore the Jacket to work the whole week after the race. A colleague asked, "You're showing off your jacket again?" Damn right.

2012 Carlsbad Marathon Finisher

No comments:

Post a Comment